27 Point Comprehensive Commercial Plumbing Checklist
Make sure you've got everything covered.
Posted 21:19 July 29, 2023
Last Updated 21:19 July 29, 2023
Below is a comprehensive commercial plumbing checklist to help ensure that the plumbing system in a commercial building remains in good condition and operates efficiently:
1. Inspect Water Heaters: Check for leaks, corrosion, and sediment buildup in water heaters. Ensure the temperature and pressure relief valves are functioning correctly.
2. Check for Leaks: Inspect all visible pipes, faucets, and fixtures for any signs of leaks or water damage.
3. Test Drains: Ensure all drains are running smoothly and there are no blockages. Address slow or clogged drains promptly.
4. Inspect Toilets: Check for leaks around the base of toilets and ensure they flush properly. Test the operation of the flush mechanism.
5. Examine Faucets: Check for leaks or dripping faucets. Replace washers or cartridges as needed.
6. Inspect Water Pressure: Test water pressure throughout the building to ensure it meets the appropriate standards. Adjust pressure regulators if necessary.
7. Check Shut-off Valves: Test all shut-off valves to ensure they are working correctly and can be easily accessed in case of emergencies.
8. Inspect Sewer Lines: Regularly inspect and clean sewer lines to prevent backups and clogs. Address any signs of sewer gas odor promptly.
9. Check Backflow Prevention Devices: Inspect and test backflow prevention devices to ensure they are functioning properly and comply with regulations.
10. Examine Sump Pumps: If applicable, inspect and test sump pumps to ensure they are in working condition.
11. Inspect Grease Traps: For businesses with kitchens, check and clean grease traps regularly to prevent blockages and odors.
12. Check Water Quality: Test water quality for impurities and ensure it meets safety standards. Install water filters or water softeners if needed.
13. Inspect Water Meters: Check water meters for accuracy and leaks. High water bills may indicate an undetected leak.
14. Inspect Fire Sprinklers: For buildings with fire sprinkler systems, ensure they are in proper working order and not obstructed.
15. Inspect Water Supply Lines: Check for signs of corrosion or damage in water supply lines. Replace old or faulty pipes as necessary.
16. Check Hot Water Circulation System: If applicable, examine the hot water circulation system for efficiency and proper functioning.
17. Test Emergency Eyewash Stations and Safety Showers: For buildings with laboratories or hazardous materials, ensure emergency eyewash stations and safety showers are working correctly.
18. Inspect Booster Pumps: If the building requires booster pumps for water pressure, inspect and test them regularly.
19. Check Water Softeners: If the building has a water softening system, inspect it, and replenish salt levels as needed.
20. Inspect HVAC Condensate Drains: Ensure HVAC condensate drains are free of clogs and properly draining.
21. Check for Corrosion: Inspect pipes, fittings, and fixtures for signs of corrosion, which can lead to leaks and reduced lifespan.
22. Inspect Water Coolers and Fountains: Check water coolers and fountains for leaks and proper operation.
23. Inspect Water Mains and Fire Hydrants: If the property has water mains or fire hydrants, ensure they are in good condition and accessible.
24. Test Emergency Backup Systems: If applicable, test emergency backup systems for plumbing, such as generators or backup pumps.
25. Check Insulation: Ensure pipes and plumbing located in unheated areas are properly insulated to prevent freezing.
26. Inspect Water Hammer Arrestors: Check and install water hammer arrestors to prevent loud noises and potential damage caused by water hammer.
27. Review Maintenance Records: Keep detailed records of all inspections, repairs, and maintenance performed on the plumbing system.
By following this comprehensive commercial plumbing checklist and conducting regular inspections, businesses can prevent major plumbing issues, reduce downtime, and ensure the safety and comfort of occupants and customers. If you'd like an inspection of your commercial plumbing system, contact the professional plumbers here at All Trades. We service Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City, and most parts of Clark County Nevada.